ESS on Panther

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Dec 15 22:40:35 CET 2003

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 03:25 PM, John Maindonald wrote:

> I seem not to have copied my earlier message to the list.  Has anyone
> successfully used Andrew Choi's emacs with ESS under Panther?
>
> My .emacs works fine with the crippled emacs that comes with Apple's
> Xcode, but has the same problem as Kieran's with Andrew Choi's emacs.
>
> Is the folllowing an issue? I quote from To quote from the README.txt
> that came with Andrew Choi's emacs (21.3.50):
>
> "
> This version of Emacs doesn't see the expected shell environment
> variables. Because it's launched by the Finder, not by another Unix
> shell process. Mac OS X does have a way around this issue: and you can
> set environment variables for all Finder launched processes, including
> Emacs.app.
>
> You create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which has an dictionary
> of environment variables in it, then you must log in again for it to
> take effect. Then Emacs will see those environment variables. In this
> manner you could make Emacs.app see, for example, a different PATH
> variable.
> "
>
> John Maindonald.

John:

I don't think this has anything to do with Panther per se.  The same
problem exists on Jaguar and
I suppose the same solution would work there as well.  I use a
different approach since I use the
Terminal for file handling rather than the Finder.  Create an alias:
emacs='open /Applications/Emacs.app'
However, neither of these approaches allow command line arguments.

Rodney