ESS, devtools, and documentation

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 28 15:10:13 CET 2014

[CC'ing
 ESS debian --> Dirk Eddelbuettel as he is affected by this too]

    >> > well (in the ess-help branch) we did take it
    >> > from globalenv, as I thought your intention was.
    >> > My changes
    >> >    - worked in R 1.0.x
    >> >    - kept it visible in "ESSR" so users can even override .ess.helpFUN,
    >>
    >> Ah, ok. Now I understand that you were referring to your change on a git
    >> branch. I still have to get used to that ;)

    > Hi Gang:

    > So, just to be clear.  Are we now using git alone?  If so, then we
    > should update the docs and the web page including some git tips like
    > branches vs. pull/push, etc.  If not, then I guess we will have to do
    > that stuff at some point before the switch which we will need to plan
    > for.  Either way, we should resolve this in the near future, right?

Right.

Yes, we (well, you, the majority ..)  made the decision and since then,
we've been making changes to the github version only AFAICS.

Yes, there's quite a bit of documentation work to be done
because of this, and I'd be happy if you would start doing it.
As the documentation is part of ESS, I'd say we cannot even make
a new release because that part of the documentation is so much
off reality now.

Martin