Xemacs21 problems with ESS 5.9.1 ?? [FWD from ESS-debian]

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 19:09:14 CEST 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:34:23 -0500,
Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> edd at ron:~/svn/ess/lisp> svn info ess-rutils.el Path: ess-rutils.el
> Name: ess-rutils.el URL:
> https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp/ess-rutils.el Repository
> Root: https://svn.r-project.org/ESS Repository UUID:
> 0bbaf3bd-34e0-0310-bf65-c717079852d4 Revision: 4335 Node Kind: file
> Schedule: normal Last Changed Author: sluque Last Changed Rev: 4299
> Last Changed Date: 2010-04-17 12:19:34 -0500 (Sat, 17 Apr 2010) Text
> Last Updated: 2010-04-17 12:19:34 -0500 (Sat, 17 Apr 2010) Checksum:
> 3f7e2d47430ffbb724ffb29774381c15

> edd at ron:~/svn/ess/lisp>

> I prepare the Debian package based on what I find in SVN. If ess-core
> doesn't want certain files here, maybe some logic needs to be added.

>> Also, you have a lot of "file .el is newer" messages.

> Irrelevant. On Debian systems, the packages contain only .el code and
> are compiled into .elc upon installation of the given package, and
> against all emacs versions present. To take a random example, this
> machine currently has such on-demand builds for a2ps, apel, auctex,
> bbdb, cmake, css-mode, several Debian internal packages, ess,
> html-helper-mode, pymacs, python-mode and vm.

> None break, but then I currently only have emacs23
> installed. Sometimes I run emacs-snapshot too. Ess never broke.

> Now it appears broken with xemacs.

>> That will not occur in a proper ESS installation since the .elc files
>> will always be newer than the .el files (as they are created from the
>> .el files).  Something is seriously hosed.

> It simply is different here as we do not work from the pristine
> tarball, yet work from the same sources.

So IIUC, the only problem now is:

While compiling toplevel forms in file /usr/share/xemacs21/site-lisp/ess/ess-rutils.el:
  !! Invalid read syntax ((")"))
>>Error occurred processing ess-rutils.el:
Invalid read syntax: ")"

on XEmacs.  The "file *.el is newer" can be ignored.  Is that right?  I
don't use XEmacs, but I'll try to zero in on that (a bit hard without
access to XEmacs).  I don't see any of these issues with the Debian
Emacs/ESS packages.  Rodney -- can you help me detect where the error
occurs in XEmacs?

I see that I didn't include ess-rutils.el to the ELC variable in the
Makefile.  Adding it now shows that it compiles alright, but that is
irrelevant here as Dirk says.

--
Seb