[BioC] GLM common and trended dispersion EdgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 11 01:26:52 CET 2014

Dear Reema,

I am sorry that it is a little confusing.  Let me clarify.

First, we always recommend that you use the full pipeline including
tagwise dispersions as summarized in Section 1.4 of the User's Guide.
This is for any RNA-seq experiment with replicates.

Second, the estimateTagwiseDisp() and estimateGLMTagwiseDisp() functions
always assume a dispersion trend unless you explicitly tell them not to.
This is so whether or not you have called estimateGLMTrendedDisp() prior
to estimateGLMTagwiseDisp().

The reason for calling estimateGLMCommonDisp() and
estimateGLMTrendedDisp() prior to calling estimateGLMTagwiseDisp() is
partly for diagnostic purposes and partly to give estimateGLMTagwiseDisp()
a general idea of the magnitude of the dispersions before it estimates the
tagwise values.  However neither the common or trended dispersions are
explicitly used in the tagwise estimation scheme; they are used only to
setup the resolution of the tagwise estimation grid.

The reason that there is no estimateTrendedDisp() step in Section 1.4 is
just because historically this function didn't exist.  Remember that we
created the classic estimateTagwiseDisp() pipeline way back in 2006.
Omitting the trended step makes only a small difference to the final
tagwise results.

We are gradually revising all the edgeR code to make the classic and glm
pipelines consistent with one another.  In the latest versions of edgeR,
you can simply call:

   y <- estimateDisp(y)

or

   y <- estimateDisp(y,design)

and it will do the whole disp estimation pipeline (classic or glm) for you
at once.

Best wishes
Gordon