[BioC] barcode with custom CDF

Steve Piccolo stephen.piccolo at hsc.utah.edu
Wed Mar 27 20:40:49 CET 2013

Hi Dario and Guido,

The UPC function in our SCAN.UPC package addresses this need. We use a
"single-sample" approach to estimating barcodes. Essentially this means
that we use the probe values within a given microarray sample to estimate
a background distribution and then use that information to estimate
whether each gene is "active" or "inactive" in that array. This is similar
in concept to the barcode function (fRMA package) except that it does not
require a large collection of reference samples, so it can easily be
applied to Affy arrays from any platform. We have performed a comparison
using the Affy Latin Square data, and our approached compares favorably to
the barcode function (manuscript in revision, we can send more details
offline if you're
interested).

It's also straightforward to use alternative CDFs, such as from
BrainArray. This functionality is described in the package's documentation.

One caveat: the UPC function is currently available only in the
"development" version of Bioconductor (it will be released to the main
version in a couple weeks). So if you want to try it out, you'll need to
install the development version of R and then the development version of
Bioconductor.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,
-Steve