[BioC] edgeR for data combined from different studies and/or platforms

Santosh Patnaik snt.pat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 11:13:45 CET 2013

Thank you for your thoughts.

I want to compare the two cancers to study cancer-specific
genes/pathways. Both are cancers of the same organ. There is no sample
that is common to both data-sets. The sets do include cancer-adjacent
normal tissue samples and I can examine the combined data to see if
the normal samples of one set are like from that of the other, though
one can question the underlying assumption that adjacent 'normal'
tissue of one cancer is like that of another.

The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) work for the two cancers is quite
elaborate and vast. There are hundreds of samples for each cancer, and
TCGA seems to have very standardized protocols for handling,
processing and assaying the cancer specimens obtained from many
institutions. The mRNA expression (sequencing) data for both cancers
have been (and are being) obtained using the same platform.
Presumably, the sequencing data collection has been going on for
multiple years and has involved lots of different people. Knowing
this, one would think that persistent systemic variability between the
data from the two cancers will be minimal (especially, perhaps, for
sequencing data) and one could rationally combine data for the two
cancers for inter-cancer comparisons.

Santos