[BioC] edgeR Quasi-likelihood with tagwise dispersion?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 19 03:42:35 CET 2013

Dear Ryan,

Yes, glmQLFTest() can be substituted for glmLRT() in an edgeR analysis
pipeline, but it assumes that trended not tagwise dispersion has been
estimated.  This is explained in the published paper Lund et al (2012).

There has been no detailed description of the usage of glmQLFTest() in the
edgeR document so far, but there will be before the next release in a few
weeks' time.

Yes, glmQLFtest() does its own tagwise dispersion moderation.  This is the
reason for the function.  glmQLFTest() actually does its own trending as
well, so that it is quite robust to the NB dispersions that it gets as
input.  The help page says:

"[glmQLFTest] calls the limma function squeezeVar to conduct empirical
Bayes smoothing of the genewise multiplicative dispersions."

I don't think that you will get meaningfull results from inputing tagwise
dispersions into glmQLTest(), i.e., it doesn't make sense to re-shrink
values that are already shrunk.

Because of the possible misunderstanding, glmQLFTest() now has a new
calling sequence, so that it can stand alone from glmFit().  This permits
the function to ensure that it gets the correct NB dispersion estimates.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
http://www.statsci.org/smyth