[BioC] Analysis of Affymetrix Mouse Gene 2.0 ST arrays

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Wed Mar 6 19:26:37 CET 2013

Dear Kamila,

Here is some history, as far as I remember:

Originally (1999) Affymetrix sold the Hu6800 (HuGeneFL) array, which was
an ivt array with most probes (oligos) located on the 3'-end. At that
time the collection of probes which represented one gene was called a
probeset, and there was (and still is) only one annotation file for the
ivt arrays. In addition there was one library file, the Hu6800.CDF file.
Most ivt arrays still have CDF-files which map the probes to the (x,y)
location on the arrays.

With the introduction of the HuExon 1.0 ST array as first exon array
Affymetrix did change a couple of things:

- they replaced one CDF-file with two files, called CLF-file and
PGF-file, respectively.

- in addition they provide now two annotation files, a
transcript-cluster annotation file and a probeset annotation file. A
certain gene (transcript-cluster) typically consists of one ore more
exons, one exon consists of one ore more probesets, and one probeset
consists usually of 2-4 probes (oligos).

The probeset annotation file does now list all probesets with their
"probeset_id", as well as the "transcript_cluster_id" and the "exon_id"
for each probeset. In contrast the transcript annotation file does list
only the genes with their "transcript_cluster_id".

At some later time Affymetrix introduced a cheaper 'exon' array, the
'Whole Genome' HuGene 1.0 ST array since many labs were mainly
interested in the expression of the genes and not of the different
exons. This cheaper array typically has only one probe per exon.
Originally Affymetrix sold this array as an array to measure gene
expression, and there was only one annotation file. Lateron they decided
to convert the HuGene array to an exon array, too. Thus now all WT
arrays do contain both a probeset annotation file and a transcript
annotation file. In principle you could now use WT arrays to measure the
expression of single exons, however with the disadvantage that usually
there is only one probe per exon.

To understand the distinction between probeset and transcript annotation
files please look at the annotation files, and especially read the
README files which Affymetrix usually provides in the annotation zip-files.

I hope this history does help you to understand the difference between
these two annotation files.

Best regards,
Christian