[BioC] IRanges is broken in Cygwin (mingw/math.h)

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jul 16 02:34:48 CEST 2013

On 7/15/2013 8:59 AM, Enrico Ferrero wrote:
> Dear Michael and Martin,
>
> First of all apologies to everybody else for hijacking the discussion, I guess
> it's not very relevant to the Bioconductor list at this point. Maybe we can keep
> the next emails off the list?
>
> The main reason for using R/Bioconductor within Cygwin is convenience. I work
> almost exclusively from a Cygwin terminal and using the R console or the Rscript
> command from within my Cygwin terminal is a lot more convenient than having to
> fire up Windows' Rgui.
> However, I'm still new to Cygwin (new job!), so I wasn't even aware that it was
> possible to use Windows R from Cygwin. May I ask how?

Probably I spoke too quickly; I'm not a cygwin user, other than casually and
mostly as an ssh client. It's straight-forward to start R from cygwin -- Rterm
--vanilla or Rgui or Rscript, assuming R is on your (cygwin's) PATH. Rgui
launches the R GUI which is as functional as ever; Rterm --vanilla get the
terminal version but it's not really usable -- X11 isn't available so plots go
to Rplots.pdf and errors break to the shell. I'm not an Rscript user so don't
know what functionalities are missing.

You never know what expertise lurks out there so I'll leave this on the mailing
list.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Morgan, PhD