[BioC] what is the threshold for R homology package

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 26 19:27:48 CET 2012

Hi Rachel,

That's a good question to be asking if you want to make use of these
packages.  If you are looking at the inpararanoid packages, the bimap
objects will only expose the mappings that inparanoid indicates are
perfectly matched.  If that is too conservative for you, the database
inside has all of the available data for mappings.  I am not really sure
where you are getting 1804 from, but if you use the bimap you will only
get the most conservative mappging.  So for example:

dim(toTable(hom.Hs.inpSCHPO))

Will only get you those mappings where the seed_status is 100%, which is
why you get many fewer results from this.

But if you do this instead:
res = select(hom.Hs.inp.db,
keys(hom.Hs.inp.db,keytype="SCHIZOSACCHAROMYCES_POMBE"),
cols="HOMO_SAPIENS", keytype="SCHIZOSACCHAROMYCES_POMBE")
dim(res)

This interface will you get everything (regardless of what it's score
was or wasn't).

If neither of these approaches is what you wanted, you can also query
the DB under the hood which also has the seed_status and score for each
match.

   Marc