[BioC] gene set enrichment analysis of RNA-Seq data

Paolo Guarnieri pg2296 at c2b2.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 27 00:44:05 CEST 2012

Gordon K Smyth <smyth at ...> writes:

> Dear Julie,
>
> A good question.  As far as I know, there is as yet no such method.  What
> I am doing for this purpose for the time being is to use voom() in the
> limma package to transform the RNA-Seq counts to a scale on which
> microarray methods can be used, then using roast().  See page 104 of the
> limma User's Guide for examples of this:
>
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.10/bioc/vignettes/limma/inst/doc/usersguide.pdf
>
> Note that roast() is a self-contained gene set test with the ability to
> use linear models and weights:
>
>    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20610611
>
> Another gene set enrichment option that works fine with RNA-Seq data is
> camera().  This is a competitive test, but without the usual disadvantage
> of gene sampling in that it estimates and adjusts for inter-gene
> correlation.  camera() is currently setup to automatically use the weights
> that come out of voom(), meaning that camera() respects the mean-variance
> relationship of RNA-Seq data.  We have used it successfully on RNA-Seq
> data.
>
> Best wishes
> Gordon

Dear Gordon,

We (my colleagues and myself) read your post/papers (TMM, limma User Guide,
edgeR user Guide and paper and voom vignette) with great interest and we are
glad you took the time to address this issue.

We have a couple of additional questions.
In a previous email you said:
"However RNA-Seq counts for different libraries
can be of very different sizes, and hence will be heteroscedastic.".
Then the question is: why it is not sufficient to use the TMM normalized
data as it takes into account the different library size, but instead you
propose to follow the voom transformation procedure?

Additionally we find that differentially expressed genes identified by
edgeR are substantially different from those identified by limma after
voom transformation.
Whereas we expect this behavior, due to the different statistical
model and the transformation itself,
it is always a reason of concern.

Best,

Paolo