[BioC] What populates makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 17 01:23:45 CEST 2012

One more thing that I neglected to mention is that you can learn details
about your transcriptDb object by just looking at the output of it's
show method.  So for example if I have loaded:

library(TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene)
## then I can just look at the object like:
TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene

## And I see an output like this:
TranscriptDb object:
| Db type: TranscriptDb
| Supporting package: GenomicFeatures
| Data source: UCSC
| Genome: hg19
| Genus and Species: Homo sapiens
| UCSC Table: knownGene
| Resource URL: http://genome.ucsc.edu/
| Type of Gene ID: Entrez Gene ID
| Full dataset: yes
| miRBase build ID: GRCh37
| transcript_nrow: 80922
| exon_nrow: 286852
| cds_nrow: 235842
| Db created by: GenomicFeatures package from Bioconductor
| Creation time: 2012-03-12 21:45:23 -0700 (Mon, 12 Mar 2012)
| GenomicFeatures version at creation time: 1.7.30
| RSQLite version at creation time: 0.11.1
| DBSCHEMAVERSION: 1.0

Which tells me a whole lot about where this data came from, what build
of the genome it was based upon etc.  Now if I had looked at a package
based on biomaRt it would look similar.  For example:

library("TxDb.Athaliana.BioMart.plantsmart12")
TxDb.Athaliana.BioMart.plantsmart12

## Shows me this:
TranscriptDb object:
| Db type: TranscriptDb
| Supporting package: GenomicFeatures
| Data source: BioMart
| Genus and Species: Arabidopsis thaliana
| Resource URL: www.biomart.org:80
| BioMart database: plants_mart_12
| BioMart database version: ENSEMBL PLANTS 12 (EBI UK)
| BioMart dataset: athaliana_eg_gene
| BioMart dataset description: Arabidopsis thaliana genes (TAIR10)
| BioMart dataset version: TAIR10
| Full dataset: yes
| miRBase build ID: NA
| transcript_nrow: 41671
| exon_nrow: 171013
| cds_nrow: 0
| Db created by: GenomicFeatures package from Bioconductor
| Creation time: 2012-03-13 09:54:23 -0700 (Tue, 13 Mar 2012)
| GenomicFeatures version at creation time: 1.7.30
| RSQLite version at creation time: 0.11.1
| DBSCHEMAVERSION: 1.0

Which tells me exactly which biomaRt data sources were used for
constructing the database.

   Marc