[BioC] problem getting setNodeColorRule from RCytoscape to work

Paul Shannon pshannon at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 3 19:46:11 CEST 2012

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sending the session and version info.

Please see comments inline below...

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks so much for your timely response. Here is the sessioninfo():
>
>> sessionInfo ()
> R version 2.14.2 (2012-02-29)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
> [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
> [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] RCytoscape_1.4.4 XMLRPC_0.2-4     graph_1.32.0

> [1] RCurl_1.6-7  tools_2.14.2 XML_3.9-4
>>

> My Cytoscape version is 2.7.0, CytoscapeRPC is version 1.8 downloaded from
> http://chianti.ucsd.edu/cyto_web/plugins/displayplugininfo.php?name=CytoscapeRPC
>
> Thank you for your help!

There are updates for a few of your packages, and for Cytoscape itself.  One plausible cause is RCurl.  Your version 1.6-7, and the current release is 1.91-1.

May I suggest the following?  Upgrade RCurl (see http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/) and then, if you don't mind, restart R, and send me the exact transcript of your R session, the few lines of code needed to reproduce the error.  When I see them in context (if the RCurl update does not fix the problem) then I could do a better job of figuring things out.  Meanwhile: I am sorry that you are running into trouble.

Also, I should warn you!  We have a new release of R, of Bioconductor, and RCytoscape.  Though it can be a little painful to make the transition, we generally encourage everyone to stay current.  Since the release happened only yesterday, finding the fix for your problem should be something we can do separately form the upgrade we might soon recommend.

 - Paul