[BioC] vsn on vsn

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Sep 16 19:13:04 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Dr Balazs Gyorffy <zsalab2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Sean,
> we have an online computational site www.kmplot.com. In the site we have
> integrated clinical information and several Affymetrix gene expression
> datasets from GEO, and the user is capable to perform a meta-analysis on
> these for predicting survival in breast and ovarian cancer.
> I would like to set up a similar system for miRNA analysis. However, for
> miRNA, only a very limited number of publications are available and these
> are on different platforms. For example prostate cancer looks very promising
> with two datasets with known relapse free survival: GSE26367 and GSE21032,
> these are on  Agilent and Illumina.
>
> We are also working in the lab with miRNA, but again, on a different
> platform (Invitrogen, see:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=gyorffy%20mirna).
>
> I see that the different platforms have the same miRNA oligos (let-7, etc).
> So the question is how to normalize them. One option is to use the raw data,
> but since the arrays are different, the processing will be different anyway.
> Another option is to take the normalized datasets from GEO and use a
> cross-project normalization. Earlier for mRNA (not miRNA) this worked fine
> for me using VSN. However, I see there that one of the datasets (the
> GSE21032) was already VSN normalized.

Hi, Balazs.

My experience has been that cross-project normalization, while
numerically possible, does not typically remove all the biases that
exist between different platforms, I am not sure what to tell you.  In
some cases (apparently the case for the data on your website), the
biases that likely remain are not too severe.  Sorry I couldn't be
more helpful.

Sean