[BioC] heatmap.2 Z-score vs logFC

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Oct 18 17:44:44 CEST 2011

Hi, Neel.

Some rows have larger logFC than others.  Without scaling, those rows
will be brighter than the rows that have smaller logFC.  Scaling the
rows (columns) makes the rows (columns) have similar variation so that
even rows that have smaller logFC still have visible changes when
plotted.  If most of your rows (columns) have similar variation, then
scaling will not make much difference.

Sean