[BioC] Is it possible to generate an ExpressionSet object that contain duplicate row names?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Oct 13 15:58:25 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 01:52 AM, Tim Triche, Jr. wrote:
> rownames(myexprsunique) = make.unique(rownames(myexprsunique))
> myExpressionSet<- new("ExpressionSet", exprs = myexprsunique, phenoData =
> myphenoData, annotation = myannotation)
>
> This is more of an R question than a BioC question, and don't forget to make
> the phenoData row names unique too.

actually, Nuria was sent here from R-help ;) ExpressionSet row names are
meant to be unique identifiers; store other identifiers in featureData,
e.g.,

fData(myExpressionSet)[["MyIds"]] <- 'whatever'

or create a featureData instance (it's an AnnotatedDataFrame, like
phenoData) in new("ExpressionSet", featureData=featureData)

Hope that helps,

Martin