[BioC] Coverage by base

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 12 17:40:00 CEST 2011

Hi Rohan,

On 11-10-11 11:49 AM, rohan bareja wrote:
> Hi,
> Ya thats correct..I have summed up the
>   reads using viewSums but I want to get the gene information .Hi,
> I found this archive from bioconductor-sig-sequencing mailing list where they have discussed about cov_by_gene<- Views(cov, genes)
> viewSums(cov_by_gene)https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-sig-sequencing/attachments/20110723/b9f2c69c/attachment.pl
> But I am not sure what is the object "genes" that has been used along with the coverage.Thats exactly what I would like to do.

I think 'genes' is a GRanges object object that was obtained with
something like (pseudo-code):

   library(GenomicFeatures)
   txdb <- makeTranscriptDbFromUCSC(...)
   gene_ranges <- range(transcriptsBy(txdb, by="gene"))
   genes <- unlist(gene_ranges)

Before the unlist() it's always good to make sure that
there is exactly one range per gene e.g. with
table(elementLengths(gene_ranges)). If that's the case
then unlisting will preserve the nb of elements.

Cheers,
H.

> Thanks,Rohan
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]