[BioC] edgeR - R script - results compared to DESeq

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 30 00:03:45 CET 2011

Hi Avinash,

Your analysis seems fine, from what you give, although I'd rather than you
used estimateTagwiseDisp() as a general rule instead of just
estimateCommonDisp().  One of the major motivations for the edgeR package
is the ability to allow gene-specific variability without losing too much
power, which is what the tagwise dispersion estimation does.  We also
generally recommend normalization using calcNormFactors() prior to
dispersion estimation and testing.  Either or both of these steps may
affect the number of DE genes.

Best wishes
Gordon