[BioC] package ‘DAVIDQuery’ is not available (for R version 2.14.0)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Nov 23 18:07:09 CET 2011

Hi Karl,

On 11/23/2011 11:34 AM, Karl Brand wrote:

> Esteemed BioC UseRs and Devs,
>
> I'm trying (and failing) to install the BioC package "DAVIDQuery".
> There must be a simple way to solve this issue, but my googling failed
> to solve this issue.
>
> Within (ESS/Emacs) R --vanilla i tried:
>
> > install.packages("DAVIDQuery", dependencies=TRUE)
> Installing package(s) into
> ‘/home/kbrand/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>   package ‘DAVIDQuery’ is not available (for R version 2.14.0)

Tsk, tsk. What is this install.packages() of which you speak? I do
believe you want

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("DAVIDQuery")

Which is guaranteed to (find and) install the right thing, whereas
install.packages() most likely will not.

> This makes me wonder if i need to specify a different library (path).
> If so, which one?
>
> > .libPaths()
> [1] "/home/kbrand/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13"
> [2] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"
> [3] "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
> [4] "/usr/lib/R/library"
>
> (This is a bigger area of ignorance for me - why has R set up four
> separate libraries by default? Where some require use of sudo to
> install/update packages, whilst others do not? And what are the
> implications when it comes time to upgrade to the next version of R? I
> have obtained some advice on this before -
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2011-September/007120.html -
> but have failed to implement this given my focus on just using R,
> neglecting its proper maintenance, and all round inexperience with
> linux).
>
> I'd really appreciate responses on getting "DAVIDQuery" running on my
> currently installed R 2.14.0 (as well as any tips on 'good practice'
> when it comes to R library management on linux (ubuntu)).

I am not a fan of system-wide installs of R. I always just download the
tarball to my personal directory, then do

tar xvfz <R-tarballname>
cd <R-whateverversion>
./configure && make

Then you will only have one library, and will not require sudo to do
anything with it. When you upgrade you should always be upgrading your
BioC install as well, and there is no profit in doing anything but
installing biocLite() (which now comes in a package called
BiocInstaller), and then re-installing all the packages you use in the
new version of R.

Best,

Jim

--