[BioC] installing gtk for EBImage

Ravi [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Fri Nov 18 23:50:19 CET 2011

Dear list members,
I am a total newcomer to linux and would like to have some help in the installation of bioconductor packages on my newly installed ubuntu 11.10 system. I have installed R and many of the CRAN packages. I am having some difficulties in installing the EBImage package on running the command - bioClite('EBImage'). The ImageMagick installation is recognized alright, but I get the following error about the gtk package :
 installing *source* package ‘EBImage’ ...
checking for Magick-config... yes
* found ImageMagick version 6.7.3 Q16
* found ImageMagick includes in -I/usr/local/include/ImageMagick
checking for pkg-config... yes
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
* GTK+2.0 not found: compiling without GTK+ support

Running gtk-demo on the terminal confirms that gtk is not installed.

Now, I would like how I should install the gtk package. When I look at Synaptic, I see a whole lot of gtk programs. Which one should I choose? What surprises me is that I have RGtk2 and rattle packages installed. I get no error message on loading RGtk2. How is this possible without a gtk installation?

I would appreciate getting some instructions on installing gtk.
Thanking you,
Ravi

 -- output of sessionInfo():

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] abind_1.4-0         RGtk2_2.20.14       BiocInstaller_1.2.1

[1] tools_2.14.0

--
Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.