[BioC] GenomicFeatures makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart failure

Tim Rayner tfrayner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:33:58 CET 2011

Hi Marc,

Thanks very much for looking into this, and also to Michael for
providing the patch. I've upgraded my GRanges package and the code now
runs with a couple of warnings:

> txdb.Hs2 <- makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart(biomart='ensembl', dataset='hsapiens_gene_ensembl')
Download and preprocess the 'transcripts' data frame ... OK
Download and preprocess the 'chrominfo' data frame ... FAILED! (=> skipped)
Download and preprocess the 'splicings' data frame ... OK
Download and preprocess the 'genes' data frame ... OK
Prepare the 'metadata' data frame ... OK
Make the TranscriptDb object ... OK
Warning messages:
1: In `levels<-`(`*tmp*`, value = if (nl == nL) as.character(labels)
else paste(labels,  :
  duplicated levels will not be allowed in factors anymore
2: In `levels<-`(`*tmp*`, value = if (nl == nL) as.character(labels)
else paste(labels,  :
  duplicated levels will not be allowed in factors anymore
3: In .normargChrominfo(chrominfo, transcripts$tx_chrom, splicings$exon_chrom) :
  chromosome lengths and circularity flags are not available for this
TranscriptDb object

So I think the problem is basically fixed. I wonder if perhaps the
issue was caused by truncated data transfers; I observed several
similar failures earlier yesterday afternoon, but in each case the
problem seemed to occur at a different point in the process.

Thanks again,

Tim