[BioC] Calculate coverage on genome.

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 15 21:17:29 CET 2011

On 03/15/2011 12:19 PM, Fabrice Tourre wrote:
> What's more, how many covaged the repeat region and unique region?

Hi Fabrice --

The steps in the work flow might invovle: input reads

   library(GenomicRanges)
   aln <- readGappedAlignemnts(<...>))

and create regions of interest, e.g., from

   library(GenomicFeatures)
   txdb <- makeTranscriptDbFromUCSC(<...>)
   cds <- cdsBy(txdb, "gene")

or using the biomaRt or AnnotationDbi packages. Then count reads in each
region of interest

   hits <- countOverlaps(aln, cds)

or calculate coverage and take views based on your regions of interest

  cvg <- coverage(aln)
  v <- Views(cvg, ranges(cds))

and then summarize, e.g., viewSums. Maybe others will contribute more
detail.

Martin