[BioC] About package beadarray

Mark Dunning mark.dunning at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:34:32 CET 2011

Hi Anand,

I think I understand the source of your confusion. There are two types
of correction applied to BeadArray data; one at the bead-level and one
at the summarized level.

The bead-level text files created by Illumina's scanning software
report the intensity of each bead on the array. These have been
adjusted by subtracting a local background measure calculated using
nearby pixels on the image. For convenience, the readIllumina function
in beadarray will read these values, as these are the same values that
are analysed by Illumina's BeadStudio/GenomeStudio software. We find
them adequate for most purposes, although a more thorough analysis is
possible as described in the imageProcessing vignette. If you have
data exported from BeadStudio they will almost certainly have been
adjusted in this way.

However, the backgroundNormalise method (that is now removed) referred
to in previous emails occurs on a per bead-type basis once data have
been summarized. It used to be the default normalization method in
BeadStudio. The quantities subtracted are negative controls
(bead-types with no target in the genome). As I mention in previous
posts there are viable alternatives to this method. The neqc method
you are interested in requires summarized data and (I suspect)
developed with GenomeStudio data in mind. Therefore it is Ok to use
data that have been read using readIllumina with this method.

Hope this helps. Regards,

Mark