[BioC] Microarray experiments with Drosophilas (miniscule amounts of RNA, cheap organisms)

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 29 20:59:54 CEST 2010

It is possible to do this on a per-individual basis, but you will likely need at least one RNA amplification step.  Locally, we have several honey bee researchers who have performed both array and RNA seq analyses using brain (specifically, mushroom bodies) from individual specimens, and using laser capture microdissection they have even isolated specific regions of individual brain.  As mentioned at least one RNA amplification step is involved in these studies to generate enough RNA for analyses; experimental design and subsequent analyses take into consideration the caveats associated with that.

Drosophila would be a bit more problematic (brain is ~ 1/5 the size of bee), but there should be enough literature to find some more answers on this.  There is also FlyAtlas:

http://130.209.54.32/atlas/atlas.cgi

which may point to relevant publications for your needs.

chris