[BioC] remove microarray batch effects using Limma

Mike Walter michael_walter at email.de
Tue Oct 26 10:14:50 CEST 2010

Hi Moshe, Hi Zhi,

I had some data with strong batch effects a while ago. I used several methods (e.g. adding the batch as factor in the modeling or Combat). In the end I decided to use Combat, which works quite nice. However, I wasn't aware of the removeBatchEffect() function so I just got curious. Here is a statement directly from the help page of this function: "This function is intended for use with clustering or PCA, not for use prior to linear modelling. If linear modelling is intended, it is better to include the batch effect as part of the linear model." So I guess the first approach might be the one to pick.

Cheers, Mike