[BioC] Illumina QC using ShortRead

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Oct 7 19:44:28 CEST 2010

On 10/07/2010 10:32 AM, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> Hi all, in order to produce some QC report we currently use the
> ShortRead qa pipeline, like this:
>
> qual<-qa(PATH_TO_GERALD_DIRECTORY,
> pattern=".*export.txt",type=c("SolexaExport"))
>
> We produce eland alignments only for this purpose and it takes so
> much time. Also, the QA process is taking more and more time as the
> throughput of Illumina machine increases... We've been trying to run
> with BAM files (which is the default for us, as we use bwa only), but
> we can't get the same report with same sections... Which is the
> fastest way to have decent QC without the Illumina pipeline?
>
> THanks

Hi Davide --

use readAligned, type="BAM", and then do a qa report on that. Do this
separately for each file, and combine the qa objects with rbind. Here's
one version

library(ShortRead)
fl <- system.file("extdata", "ex1.bam", package="Rsamtools")
fls <- c(fl, fl, fl)

qa <- do.call(rbind, Map(function(fl, id, ...) {
    aln <- readAligned(fl, type="BAM", ...)
    qa(aln, id)
}, fls, paste(basename(fls), seq_along(fls), sep="-")))

Consider using ScanBamParam() (from Rsamtools).

This is more directly supported in the devel version of ShortRead.

Maybe this doesn't get the same qa report sections precisely; which
information are you looking for?

Martin