[BioC] update annotations without updating bioconductor

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 5 17:32:43 CET 2010

Hi Robert,

There is a good chance that you will have to (at a minimum) update
AnnotationDbi just to pull this off.  That said, I still think it's
probably a bad idea.  Each release, the group of annotations we put out
is designed as a "set", so if you upgrade just one annotation package,
you really HAVE to upgrade all of them.  So for example, if you were
using hgu95av2.db, and you upgraded that, you would also need to upgrade
GO.db, KEGG.db, and org.Hs.eg.db just to be able to use the hg95av2.db
package.  And if you then went to use a chip package from mouse, (say
moe430a.db), then you would also have to update that (because earlier
you had updated GO.db and KEGG.db), along with the org.Mm.eg.db
package...  And so on.  There could also be problems with packages like
GOstats or any other packages that make heavy use of annotations (and
there are MANY of these), that could reasonably be expecting things to
work in a certain way within a certain release.

Hopefully from these descriptions you can see why mixing and matching is
probably a bad idea?  You have to really know a lot about what is
happening behind the scenes in order to pull it off, and even then, it's
pretty dicey.  I have a very good handle on how the annotations have
changed over the years, and I have tried very hard to minimize backwards
compatible impacts on how they have changed, and yet, I would never
intentionally do this.  So I can't in good conscience recommend that you
do it either.

There are very good reasons why we recommend for people to use
biocLite() and update.packages().  It is the only way we can assure you
that we have tested that these things at least should work correctly
together for you.  When you mix packages from different releases, you
are basically running code in a way that has not been tested.

  Marc