[BioC] DESeq and number of replicates required for RNA-Seq

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 18:57:01 CEST 2010

Hi Naomi

Thanks for the reply.

The issue isn't necessarily low expressing genes, but perhaps high expressing genes with a small (ish) fold change.  DESeq seems to only report as significant differences that are high fold changes.

Contrast this to limma for microarrays, where small fold changes can be reported as significant.

For whatever reason, the transcriptomic community have become fixated on "two-fold" as some kind of standard cut-off.  Now, I'm not fixated on that, but the example in DESeq reports 428 significant genes with an estimated fold change at FDR 5%, however, NONE of these are in the range -2 : 2.  The minimum positive logFC is 2.18 (4.5 fold up-regulation), and the maximum negative logFC is 2.49 (5.65 fold down-regulation).

So what I am concerned about is finding genes, either highly or lowly expressed, that are differing by a small fold change - say two-fold.

Thanks
Mick