[BioC] handling 12 bit tiffs in EBImage

Gregoire Pau gregoire.pau at embl.de
Fri Jun 11 22:39:51 CEST 2010

Hi Rajarshi,

In the TIFF format, 12-bit images are stored in 16-bit. EBImage supports
these images but they have to be scaled by a factor of 16 (2^4), to
adjust the dynamic range.

The following commands should work:
 > library(EBImage)
 > x = readImage('image.tiff')*16
 > display(x)

If the signal is too faint, images have to be rescaled before being
displayed, e.g. using normalize(), which performs the linear scaling (x
- min(x))/ (max(x) - min(x)).

 > display(normalize(x))

Hope this helps,
Best regards,