[BioC] Question regarding Installation of annotation package which was built using SQLforge (Suyog Pol)

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Jan 31 23:50:36 CET 2010

Hi Suyong --

I'm replying on-list, in case this is helpful to others.

On 01/31/2010 11:05 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> Hi Suyong --
>
> On 01/30/2010 03:49 PM, Suyog Pol wrote:
>> HI
>>
>> Thank You Seth for your suggestion. I was able to install the Package
>> using the following command.
>>
>> install.packages("illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta.db",
>> repos = NULL, type = "source")
>> However I am still unable to use the installed package. Although
>> this time I am facing a different error
>>
>> I was applying the nsFilter from the genefilter library to filter my
>> Expression set object eset. The eset was generated and used as follows:-
>>
>> dataMatrix <- exprs(eset.generated_using_lumi_package)
>>
>> #setting the rownames to the values which can be used by standard
>> #package illuminaHumanv3
>>
>> rownames(dataMatrix) <- corrected.Probe_ID[1:48795]
>>
>> annotation <- 'illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db'
>>
>> eset <- new("ExpressionSet", exprs = dataMatrix ,
>>             annotation = 'illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db'
>>
>> library(genefilter)
>> library("illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db") #The code for making and
>> installing this package was discussed in my previous mail
>> nsF <- nsFilter(eset, var.filter = FALSE)$eset
>>
>> I am getting the following error:-
>>
>>> nsF <- nsFilter(eset, var.filter = FALSE)$eset
>> Error in get(mapName, envir = pkgEnv, inherits = FALSE) :
>>   object 'illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta_dbconn' not found
>
> Are your names consistent, for instance below you use an underscore '_'
> rather than a '.' to separate 'illuminaHumanv3' and 'ensemble'. It would
> help to see, after loading your database, the output of
>
>> search()
>
> and
>
>> ls("package:illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db")

Here the package name is '.' separated

> search()
 [1] ".GlobalEnv"
 [2] "package:illuminaHumanv3.db"
 [3] "package:illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db"
 [4] "package:org.Hs.eg.db"

but here the package has variables with '_' separation

> ls("package:illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db")
 [1] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta"
 [2] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta_dbconn"
 [3] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta_dbfile"
 [4] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta_dbInfo"
 [5] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta_dbschema"
 [6] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_betaACCNUM"
 [7] "illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_betaALIAS2PROBE"

You mentioned in an off-list email that you changed the DESCRIPTION file
when you were trying to install the package (because R did not allow _
in a package name). Unfortunately, you need to start with the correct
name earlier in the package build process, I think when you say

>>> + affy=FALSE,
>>> + prefix="illuminaHumanv3_ensemble_beta",
>>> + fileName=filename,
>>> + baseMapType="eg",
>>> + outputDir = tmpout,
>>> + version="1.0.0",
>>> + manufacturer = "Illumina",
>>> + chipName = "HT-12",
g>>> + manufacturerUrl = "http://www.illumina.com")

it should be with

   prefix="illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta"

Martin

> Martin
>

>> I was unable to figure out if this issue is related to procedure used for
>> making the object or code for its installation.
>>
>> Your help will be much appreciated
>>
>> Suyog P
>>

>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
>> i386-pc-mingw32
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
>> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
>> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
>> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>>
>> attached base packages:
>>
>> other attached packages:
>>  [1] illuminaHumanv3.db_1.4.1
>>  [2] illuminaHumanv3.ensemble.beta.db_1.0.0
>>  [3] org.Hs.eg.db_2.3.6
>>  [4] genefilter_1.28.2
>>  [5] lumi_1.12.2
>>  [6] MASS_7.3-4
>>  [7] RSQLite_0.8-1
>>  [8] DBI_0.2-5
>>  [9] preprocessCore_1.8.0
>> [10] mgcv_1.6-1
>> [11] affy_1.24.2
>> [12] annotate_1.24.1
>> [13] AnnotationDbi_1.8.1
>> [14] Biobase_2.6.1

>> [1] affyio_1.14.0      grid_2.10.1        lattice_0.17-26
>> Matrix_0.999375-33
>> [5] nlme_3.1-96        splines_2.10.1     survival_2.35-7
>> tools_2.10.1
>> [9] xtable_1.5-6
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have built an annotation package with the help of guidlines set in the
>>> vignette/document
>>> "SQLforge by Marc Carlson et al." I am having problem installing it.
>>> The following code was used for building the  package:-
>>>
>>> if(interactive()){
>>> mart<- useMart("ensembl")
>>> datasets<- listDatasets(mart)
>>> mart<-useDataset("hsapiens_