[BioC] Get genomic sequences

Cei Abreu-Goodger cei at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 11:20:13 CET 2010

Hi Johannes,

I thought 'getSequence' from the biomaRt package should allow you to do
what you want. But, I can't seem to get it to work for genomic
coordinates either:

library(biomaRt)
ens <- useMart("ensembl","hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
getSequence(chromosome=1,start=10000,end=11000, seqType="genomic", mart=ens)

Error in getSequence(chromosome = 1, start = 10000, end = 11000, seqType
= "genomic",  :
   Please specify the type of sequence that needs to be retrieved when
using biomaRt in web service mode.  Choose either gene_exon,
transcript_exon,transcript_exon_intron, gene_exon_intron, cdna,
coding,coding_transcript_flank,coding_gene_flank,transcript_flank,gene_flank,peptide,
3utr or 5utr

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
i386-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] tools     stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] biomaRt_2.2.0 Biobase_2.6.0

[1] RCurl_1.2-1 XML_2.6-0