[BioC] ANOVA vs T-TEST vs eBayes

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Thu Feb 25 11:05:15 CET 2010

Hi

avehna wrote:
> I'm trying to identify genes that are differentially expressed in 4
> different treatments vs Control. First, I applied
> *pairwise.comparison*(simpleaffy library) to my data, and then, just
> to compare both results, I
> tried *lmFit* and *eBayes* (from limma library). I was wondering which
> method is best, because although  pairwise.comparison applies a t-test, it
> doesn't include Bonferroni correction. On the other hand I'm not sure
> whether fitting the data to a linear model using lmFit and eBayes is more
> convenient. I have also found another library(maanova) that uses Anova and
> it's also suitable for DNA microarray analyzes.

First of all: If you have the trivial linear model of just comparing two
  conditions against each other, the F test for the coefficient for the
condition (i.e., the test that ANOVA does) is the same thing as a t
test. Hence, doing a t test and an ANOVA should give the same results in
the case of just two conditions.

The main issue with the t test is that the denominator of the 't' value
is the sample variance, as estimated from the values of the gene in the
replicates. As you only have four replicates, this estimate may
fluctuate a lot. What Limma's eBayes does is to "share information
across genes", i.e., it find a compromise between the variance estimate
for the gene under consideration and the average variance from all the
genes. This gives more reliable results.

The correction for multiple testing is a completely separate issue: All
these techniques give you raw p values which you should correct for
multiple testing, either with the standard R function 'p.adjust' or with
Storey's 'qvalue' package. Make sure you understand what this correction
actually does, i.e., read up on family-wise error rate (FWER) and
especially false discovery rate (FDR).

Cheers
   Simon

+---