[BioC] Problem reading files on FlowCore

Chao-Jen Wong cwon2 at fhcrc.org
Sat Feb 20 01:29:44 CET 2010

Hi, Jose,

As Nishant has said, I think it is a good idea to get familiar with the
basic syntax of R.  You can go to CRAN's website,
http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html, and download the tutorial, "An
introduction of R". Throughout this document, you will get familiar with
R data structure, objects, functions and data manipulation.

The vignette in the flowCore package provides details of functionalities
provided by flowCore. It is a must-read document when you use
Bioconductor's flow cytometry packages.  To open the vignetter on your R
console, you can do the following:

> library(flowCore)
> browseVignette("flowCore")

R will open a browser in which you can find the vignette and the
corresponding R chucks of the vignette.

The functionalities provided by the flowStats packages are very useful
for flow data analysis as well. Note that you'd better install the
newest version of R is you want to use flowStats, especially for data
normalization.

Alternatively, you can try to use the iFlow package that provides a
graphical user interface allowing you to explore your flow data.  (An
R-dev version is required to install iFlow.)  Once you get familiar with
flowCore, the flowClust and flowMerge packages are very useful if you
wan to find clusters of cell populations.  Let us know if you have any
further questions.  We will have a workshop at the cyto 2010 conference
in Seattle in May.  Authors of the Bioconductor flow packages will give
presentation and teach people how to use the flow packages. You are
welcome if you are interested.

Chao-Jen

cwon2 at fhcrc.org