[BioC] Fisher's method of combining p-values

Adaikalavan Ramasamy a.ramasamy at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 10:22:18 CET 2010

The statistics from Fisher's method simply sums up the p-values on log
scale across the studies and multiplied by minus two. Under the null
hypothesis, this follows a chisquare distribution with degrees of
freedom equivalent to twice the number of studies.

If you store the p-values from different studies as columns in
'pvalues.mat' where the rows are genes. Then if I remember my
arithmethics correctly you have

  stats    <- rowSums( -2*log( pvalues.mat ), na.rm=T )
  Npresent <- rowSums( !is.na(pvalues.mat) )
  pval     <- pchisq( stats, df=2*Npresent, lower=FALSE )

Please double check.

Regards, Adai