[BioC] annaffy can't saveHTML

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Feb 12 18:35:26 CET 2010

Hi Assa,

Assa Yeroslaviz wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> thanks for the answer but it didn't solve my problem.
>
> I don't have a problem with the annotations. These are the columns from
> aaf.handler. I don't try to re-map them.

True enough. I forgot that annaffy remaps DESCRIPTION to GENENAME in the
case of A. thaliana, and other annotation packages that don't have a
DESCRIPTION table.

> The problem comes up when I'm trying to save the list in HTML format. theer
> are two genes in the list, which have something in the descriptions column
> which R can't work with. I narrowed it down to this two cells
>> atab[127,]
> An object of class “aafTable”
> Slot "probeids":
> [1] "255891_at"
>
> Slot "table":
> $Description
> An object of class "aafList"
> [[1]]
> [1] "S2P-like putative metalloprotease, also contain transmembrane helices
> near their C-termini and many of them, five of seven, contain a conserved
> zinc-binding motif HEXXH. Homolog of EGY1. Each of the EGY1 and EGY-like
> proteins share two additional highly conserved motifs, the previously
> reported NPDG motif (aa 442\x96454 in EGY1, Rudner et al., 1999) and a newly
> defined GNLR motif (aa 171\x96179 in EGY1). The GNLR motif is a novel
> signature motif unique to EGY1 and EGY-like proteins as well as other EGY1
> orthologs found in cyanobacteria."
> [2] "S2P-like putative metalloprotease, also contain transmembrane helices
> near their C-termini and many of them, five of seven, contain a conserved
> zinc-binding motif HEXXH. Homolog of EGY1. Each of the EGY1 and EGY-like
> proteins share two additional highly conserved motifs, the previously
> reported NPDG motif (aa 442\x96454 in EGY1, Rudner et al., 1999) and a newly
> defined GNLR motif (aa 171\x96179 in EGY1). The GNLR motif is a novel
> signature motif unique to EGY1 and EGY-like proteins as well as other EGY1
> orthologs found in cyanobacteria."
> attr(,"class")
> [1] "aafDescription"
>
> the problem is in the description cloumn with the \x96  ["... motif  (aa
> 171\x96179 in EGY1)..."] coding. But I don't understand why the aanotation
> uses it.

Not sure what you are getting at here - you asked for these data and got
them. But the problem arises not in annaffy, but in base R, because
\x96454 isn't a valid multibyte string in UTF-8 (and neither is \x96179
for that matter).

The fix is simple:

Set.syslocale(locale = "C")

then on with the show!