[BioC] Normalisation of Agilent microRNA arrays using inbuilt controls?

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Feb 12 00:02:35 CET 2010

Dear Daniel:

    You might need to check the quality of these negative controls to
see if they provide a good measurement of the background noise. One way
to do this is to use the density function to check if these probes are
normally distributed.

    If the negative control probes are a good representation of the
background noise, you can consider using these controls to estimate the
background mean intensity and the standard deviation of the background
intensities which are two of the parameters needed by the normexp
background correction model. The limma function neqc uses the negative
controls and positive controls to do the normalization which might be
useful for your data.

Cheers,
Wei