[BioC] what does mean of Densities on y axis in the graph generated by plotDensities

Saroj K Mohapatra saroj at vt.edu
Sat Feb 6 15:45:34 CET 2010

Hello Neeraj:

The help command '?plotDensities' provides a description:
Plots the densities of individual-channel intensities for two-color
microarray data.

Internally it uses the density() function to construct an estimate of
the probability density function underlying the data. Basically, it
displays the distribution of the data, i.e., the densityplot should fall
nicely on the histogram of the data. X-axis is the range of the data
values (R/G intensities, in this case, Y-axis, the probability).

The number of red (or green) lines corresponds to the number of arrays.

For example, I reproduce the results from plotDensities() with
hist()+density()+plot(). Since I do not have the data you used, I am
using some given at the end of the above-mentioned help page.

# load data
library(sma)
library(limma)
data(MouseArray)
MA.n=MA.RG(mouse.data) # extract

# make space for four plots
par(mfrow=c(2,2))

# Plot 1: plotDensities()
plotDensities(MA.n[,1])

# Plot 2: just plotting the red channel using hist/density/plot
Rvals=log2((mouse.data$R-mouse.data$Rb)[,1]) # background subtraction
hist(Rvals, prob=T, breaks="scott", border="gray", xlim=c(7,16),
main="Red channel", xlab="Log intensity")
lines(density(Rvals), col="red", lwd=2)

# Plot 3: just plotting the green channel using hist/density/plot
Gvals=log2((mouse.data$G-mouse.data$Gb)[,1]) # background subtraction
hist(Gvals, prob=T, breaks="scott", border="gray", xlim=c(7,16),
main="Green channel", xlab="Log intensity")
lines(density(Gvals), col="green", lwd=2)

#  Plot 4: just plotting the green channel using hist/density/plot
plot(density(Rvals), col="red", type="l", lwd=2, main="Both channels",
xlab="Log intensity", xlim=c(7,16))
lines(density(Gvals), col="green", lwd=2)

[My sessionInfo() at the end of this message]

Best,

Saroj

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_
MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;L
C_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] limma_2.18.2 sma_0.5.15

[1] tools_2.9.0