[BioC] Fwd: modifyWeights Problem

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 21:31:07 CET 2010

Let me start out by apologizing for posting twice.  I realized after
the fact that I had accidently subscribed to the developer forum, so I
then fowarded my message to the bioconductor list.  Which, I think, is
the appropriate place for this question.  Again, I am sorry.  The rest
of my response is in line below...

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM, James W. MacDonald
<jmacdon at med.umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> First off, this isn't a forum, so 'bumping' your question by forwarding it
> again is more likely than not to backfire. Better to accept the fact that
> nobody cares to answer your question than incur wrath and decrease chances
> of further questions being answered, if people decide you are a less than
> model citizen.
>
> Additionally, note that the maintainer of limma is Australian, so the
> likelihood of getting an answer from the most expert of us in the middle of
> his night is pretty small.
>
> stephen sefick wrote:

I must have misread the users guide.  I will put it wherever it is
proper to do so.  In an object called status?

> 2) The third argument for modifyWeights is supposed to be unique values of
> the second argument. From your code this doesn't appear to be the case.

I have tried many combinations - with both a subset and the entire
list neither works.  I got errors that said that the number of rows in
status does not match the weights that I would like to modify.  I have
six arrays with 6400 rows.

> 3) What is dim(RG$weights)?

 6400    6

I have never worked with microarray data before, so I am learning as I
go along.  I have a template for an analysis that I am trying to
recreate without help from the original person who did the analysis.
We have two different sets of "results" that are very different but
from the same contrasts.  So, We need to track down which one of the
results is correct... they have very different implications for the
biological significance of the results.

I didn't expect a response at 12:20 at night.  I just felt I needed to
get the question out before I went to bed for the express purpose of
folks that may help being all over the world.

Agian, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Stephen