[BioC] ReadAffy() function

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Feb 2 18:22:09 CET 2010

Hi Ron,

Ron Ophir wrote:
> Dear list users,
>

> I am running ReadAffy() function under
>

> R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
>
> i386-pc-mingw32
>

> locale:
>
> [1] LC_COLLATE=Hebrew_Israel.1255  LC_CTYPE=Hebrew_Israel.1255
>
> [3] LC_MONETARY=Hebrew_Israel.1255 LC_NUMERIC=C
>
> [5] LC_TIME=Hebrew_Israel.1255
>

> attached base packages:
>
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
>
> [7] base
>

> other attached packages:
>
> [1] RColorBrewer_1.0-2 Heatplus_1.16.0    limma_3.2.1
>
> [4] affy_1.24.2        Biobase_2.6.1

> [1] affyio_1.14.0        preprocessCore_1.8.0 tools_2.10.0
>

>>From some reason the following code works
>

> C.anno = read.delim(file="gal/Citrus.gal",stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
>
> targets = read.delim(file="targets/Targets.txt",stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
>

> C.raw =  ReadAffy(filenames = targets$FileName,
>
>                   celfile.path = "data",
>
>                   sampleNames =
> paste(targets$Target,targets$Repeat,sep="")
>
>   )
>

> C.raw at phenoData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame",data = targets)
>
> C.raw at featureData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame",data = C.anno)
>

> whereas this one
>

> C.raw =  ReadAffy(filenames = targets$FileName,
>
>                   celfile.path = "data",
>
>                   sampleNames =
> paste(targets$Target,targets$Repeat,sep=""),
>
>                   phenoData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame",data = targets),
>
>                   featureData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame",data =C.anno)
>
>   )
>

> does not.
>

> I get the following error message:
>

> Error: the following are not valid files:
>
>     data/new("AnnotatedDataFrame", data = C.anno)
>
> In addition: Warning message:
>
> In AllButCelsForReadAffy(..., filenames = filenames, widget = widget,  :
>
>   sampleNames not same length as filenames. Using filenames as
> sampleNames instead
>

> !! Targets and C.anno are data.frames, since they were read by
> read.delim() function.
>

> Can you think of why is that?

Sure. You are passing a non-existent argument to a function that has the
ellipsis (...) as its first argument. In this case, the ellipsis is
there to allow ReadAffy() to accept comma-delimited file names.

What is happening is that featureData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame", data =
C.anno) is being parsed and (attempted to be) added to the vector of
file names. Since the parsed value isn't a valid file you get the first
error. Since your sampleNames and filenames are now different, you get
the second warning.

Take home lesson: don't add fictitious arguments to ReadAffy().

Best,

Jim

> Thanks,
>
> Ron
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab