[BioC] question about lmFit model: double filtering not such a good idea?

Christos Hatzis christos.hatzis at nuverabio.com
Mon Feb 1 19:31:35 CET 2010

Hi Marien,

You should be safe with Limma.  That study concluded that shrinkage based
methods that use regularized versions of the standard t statistic should be
more efficient than the double filtering method (standard t-test & fold
change).  Limma uses a regularized or moderated t-statistic for individual
gene testing.  Selecting genes based on FDR would probably be the most
sensible approach for getting to the differential genes.  Further filtering
by FC would be justifiable if interested in genes differentially expressed
in one direction or have a minimum effect magnitude.

-Christos

Christos Hatzis, Ph.D.
Nuvera Biosciences, Inc.
400 West Cummings Park, Suite 5350