[BioC] class label

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Dec 18 19:37:44 CET 2010

On 12/18/2010 09:45 AM, Peevi Ijkl wrote:
> Hello martin
> i know that multtest works..but for it to work correctly i need to
> create a class label right..which am not able to ..i am attching the
> original txt file that i created..it is tab delimited..
> ID    disease
> GSM469509.CEL    A
> GSM469510.CEL    A
> GSM469511.CEL    A
> GSM469512.CEL    A
> GSM469514.CEL    A
> GSM469518.CEL    A
> GSM469520.CEL    A
> GSM469522.CEL    A
> GSM469523.CEL    A
> GSM469508.CEL    H
> GSM469513.CEL    H
> GSM469515.CEL    H
> GSM469516.CEL    H
> GSM469517.CEL    H
> GSM469519.CEL    H
> GSM469521.CEL    H
> A stands for atopic,H for healthy normal
> now i want to create a class label..can u help?

Hi peevi -- I know you're trying, and in some ways I'm being less
helpful than I could be. But this isn't helpful -- attachments are
removed by the mailing list software, you could have read this data in
through several different ways (especially stringsAsFactors=TRUE or
FALSE could be important), it doesn't relate to your original question
(there is no column 'Diabetic', and no variable that it would seem
reasonable to compare to "y") and we don't know what function you are
trying to use or from which library it is supposed to come from.

To return to my previous suggestion, here's what I'd guess, cut and
pasted from my R session

> library(multtest)
> lbl <- pd$Diabetic
> m <- matrix(runif(10 * length(pd$Diabetic)), 10)
> str(lbl)
 Factor w/ 2 levels "n","y": 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1
> res <- mt.teststat(m, as.integer(lbl=="y"))

but what do you actually do and see? It could also be that you are using
an older version of software (though I doubt that's the case here) and
so we encourage (a) making sure that you are using current software by
following the instructions to update packages at

  http://localhost:3000/install/index.html#update-bioconductor-packages

and (b) providing the output of sessionInfo() after the error has
occurred, and in an R session that is used only to provide the minimal
example. Here's mine

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 Patched (2010-11-21 r53647)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] multtest_2.6.0 Biobase_2.10.0

[1] MASS_7.3-9      splines_2.12.0  survival_2.36-2 tools_2.12.0

Martin