[BioC] Conversion of affymetrix cell file to raw text file

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Dec 17 16:00:50 CET 2010

On 12/16/2010 3:35 PM, viritha kaza wrote:
> Thanks James.There was no error.
> But I see that I get 11 values for the same probe.Why does it happen? If I
> perform MM as well then again I would get another file.How do I finally get
> one value for each probe in an array?

I think we need to back up a bit here. On Affy chips there are multiple
probes used to interrogate a single transcript. As you note, for this
particular chip there are usually 11 probes. All of the probes for a
given transcript make up a probeset.

When we process these data, we first background correct and normalize
the probe values to eliminate as much non-biological variability as
possible, and then we summarize all the probes in each probeset to
generate the final value, which we hope is proportional to the
expression of the transcript we are trying to measure.

So we have to be precise about our terminology. You originally asked for
a text file containing unnormalized probe values, which is what the code
I supplied does. Evidently that is not what you wanted, so can you
precisely state what it is that you do want?

Best,

Jim