[BioC] how to find the list of probe sets in Affy U133A that correspond to housekeeping genes

Christos Hatzis christos.hatzis at nuverabio.com
Wed Apr 14 23:04:47 CEST 2010

One can get a reasonable answer on what housekeeping genes are only if the
"invariance" of these genes is defined more clearly.  For example, one can
consider genes like actin or GAPDH as relatively invariant genes for normal
cells as the encode for proteins needed for basic functions, which should be
similarly expressed for most normally proliferating genes.  However, how
these genes might be expressed in a highly proliferative tumor cell, that's
a totally different story.  So it would not be such a great idea to use the
levels of these genes to normalize expression values between a set of normal
samples and a set of tumor samples, if that was the intention.

The "invariance" aspect of the normalizing (better term than housekeeping if
they are to be used for normalizing) genes is related to the application at
hand.  Once this is defined somehow, invariant genes can be selected based,
for example, on invariant ranks between the two or more sets of samples that
need to be jointly normalized.

-Christos

Christos Hatzis, Ph.D.
Nuvera Biosciences, Inc.