[BioC] Beta score of DNA methylation assays

Adaikalavan Ramasamy a.ramasamy at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 29 20:08:43 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I been handed a tabular file from DNA methylation containing "Beta"
values (rows are CpG island and columns are subjects) from Illumina
platform. The Beta values range between 0 and 1.

I am wondering how this "Beta" value is derived, what it means and how
to use it.

Or do I calculate the Cy3/Cy5 ratio and proceed as with gene expression
microarray studies?

Please accept my apologies if these are basic questions and kindly point
me to any reference. It is my first DNA methylation dataset. Thank you.

Regards, Adai