[BioC] help with dataset

Saroj K Mohapatra saroj at vt.edu
Wed May 27 15:17:39 CEST 2009

Hi Alberto:

In line of Vincent's second suggestion, you could read the phenoData
while reading the data (.CEL files). After that, it would propagate from
AffyBatch to expressionSet object. For some time, I have used this
approach (below) which I would like to bounce off the list.

For example, there is a Targets.txt file:

Sample    Celfile    ES    TYPE
SHR.PUFA5    SHR-PUFA5.CEL    PUFA    SHR
SHR.PUFA6    SHR-PUFA6.CEL    PUFA    SHR
SHR.st7    SHR-st7.CEL    ST    SHR
SHR.st8    SHR-st8.CEL    ST    SHR
WK.PUFA3    WK-PUFA3.CEL    PUFA    WK
WK.PUFA4    WK-PUFA4.CEL    PUFA    WK
WK.st1    WK-st1.CEL    ST    WK
WK.st2    WK-st2.CEL    ST    WK

You read in this information
 > targets=readTargets()

Then create Phenodata object from this information.

The following create an object that is basically same as the targets
 > myCovs = data.frame(targets)
 > rownames(myCovs) = myCovs[,1]

Find the levels of each column in the targets.
 > nlev = as.numeric(apply(myCovs, 2, function(x) nlevels(as.factor(x))))

 > finally create the data.frame and AnnotatedDataFrame
metadata = data.frame(labelDescription = paste(colnames(myCovs), ": ",
nlev, " level", ifelse(nlev==1,"","s"), sep=""),
                          row.names=colnames(myCovs))
phenoData = new("AnnotatedDataFrame", data=myCovs, varMetadata=metadata)

use the phenoData as an argument to ReadAffy
 > dat=ReadAffy(sampleNames=myCovs$Sample, filenames=myCovs$Celfile,
phenoData=phenoData)

Then normalize.
 > eset = rma(dat)

I hope that works.