[BioC] upregulated or downregulated?

Saroj K Mohapatra saroj at vt.edu
Mon May 25 03:31:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

In the log-scale , positive value suggests up-regulation; negative
down-regulation. For example: 2-fold up-regulation gives logFC of 1,
2-fold down-regulation (i.e., 0.5) gives -1.

 > log2(2)
[1] 1
 > log2(0.5)
[1] -1

In the example you provided, genes 1-11 are up-regulated; the rest down.

This assumes that the design and contrast matrices have been set up
correctly. You might want to check manually the logFC result against the
actual result for a few genes, i.e., calculating mean log intensities
and then subtracting the reference from the treated group value.

Best,

Saroj