[BioC] Upgrading R

Bryan Hepworth bryan.hepworth at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue May 12 10:38:46 CEST 2009

Hi Everyone

I'm curious to know people opinions on updates and would be grateful of some insight into this.

I recently did a rip and replace over a number of servers that are all now running RedHat 5. I updated R from the EPEL repository and then loaded up biocLite from R as it was a priority to get the packages on for work related tasks.

When the next release of R happens I was assuming rpm -Uvh R-2.9.1 then run the biocLite update from within R again.

I know there is work in progress on the Fedora packages to make the bioconductor packages an rpm too and I've been looking at doing a similar exercise with the EPEL repository, basically to make life simple for myself and ultimately my end users! I'm a sysadmin rather than an enduser if you hadn't gathered already :-)

Any comments most gladly welcomed.

Bryan