[BioC] flowClust installation on OS X

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Wed May 6 00:35:41 CEST 2009

Noah,
This fits in with a discussion we had earlier on this mailing list
concerning the Rredland Mac OS X binary package:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/22936

Mac OS X binary packages that link to 3rd party libraries can be
difficult to use because these 3rd libraries may be installed in a
different location or the versions may differ between the build machine
and the machine you wish to install it on. As a general rule BioC build
machines do not use MacPorts or DarwinPorts because these tools do not
facilitate the creation of universal binaries for the libraries they
install. Lacking pre-built universal binaries for the 3rd party
libraries, we build the universal binaries ourselves and install them in
/usr/local/lib.

In your situation, I'd first try installing flowClust from source:

source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("flowClust", type = "source")

If that causes you difficulties, you could try building GSL from source
and install it at /usr/local/lib. We have GSL version 1.12 on the Mac
build machines.

Patrick