[BioC] KEGG: gene ids for nodes in a pathway

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 5 16:20:02 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

If you are willing to make a strong assumption about gene symbols, then
you can group things using tapply().

a <- unlist(mget(mget("04630", revmap(org.Hs.egPATH),
ifnotfound=NA)[[1]], org.Hs.egSYMBOL))

b <- sub("[0-9]+$", "", a)

tapply(1:length(a), b, function(x) a[x])

This assumes that any numbers at the end of a gene symbol can be
stripped off to get the 'base' gene type (e.g. IL2, IL3, IL4, IL21 are
all Interleukins), as well as assuming that all gene symbols are
consistent.

You could also assume that you can strip off the last letter or two to
get the 'base' gene symbol, which might get you a bit closer to what you
want. Again, strong assumptions apply.

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.