[BioC] installation of Rgraphviz

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri May 1 19:01:15 CEST 2009

Somehow he knew about specifically that libcdt-4.dll was missing. I am
just wondering how.

We do know that libcdt-4.dll has been renamed. Unfortunately
libgraph-5.dll has been renamed to libgraph.dll conflicting with the
Bioconductor package graph, but that has been fixed by Patrick.

It has always been essential that Rgraphviz is used with the same
version it was build with. I have tried to do somediagnosis of this
when loading Rgraphviz, but unfortunately (at least on windows), in
this case (since it is not just a version conflict, but also a case of
renamed dlls), it bangs out with an error before checks can be run.

This might be fixable, but I will need a some way to test it on
windows. Guess I need to look into getting a virtual machine. Have
anyone tried running/building R under Fusion or Parallels on the Mac?

Kasper

On May 1, 2009, at 9:33 , Martin Morgan wrote:

> Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> Ravi
>>
>> Just for reference for future problems: how did you know that it
>> could
>> not find libcdt-4.dll. That was not mentioned in the error message
>> you
>> copied and pasted (and had we known that, the diagnosis would have
>> been
>
> The error message printed in R should be interpretted as either 'I
> am R
> and I tried to load Rgraphviz.dll, and I failed', or 'I am
> Rgraphviz.dll
> and I tried to load a dependency of mine, and failed'. Since R has
> control over Rgraphviz installation, the usual suspect turns out to be
> the dependency-of-Rgraphviz. The content of the dialog box is of
> course
> helpful in hind sight.
>
> Having been helpful (hopefully!) on that front, I'll spread
> mis-information by noting that I think libcdt-4.dll (and the other
> graphviz dlls) seem to be renamed with a certain amount of enthusiasm;
> this makes it essential that Rgraphviz is loaded (and checks that for
> same) with the same version of graphviz that it was built with.
>
> Martin
>
>> obvious). Was that displayed in some pop-up box or did you just
>> fail to
>> copy and paste it (twice)?
>>
>> And we are working on getting Graphviz 2.22 to work on windows.
>>
>> Kasper
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2009, at 8:46 , ravi wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> I repeated the installation procedure after downloading and
>>> installing
>>> from the link provided by Patrick :
>>> http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/stable/windows/graphviz-2.20.3.1.msi
>>> Instead of version 2.20.3.1, I see that it is Graphviz 2.21 on the
>>> newly installed program on the Start->All Programs tab.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I get exactly the same error message as before that
>>> libcdt-4.dll cannot be found.
>>> Even with the older version of Graphviz.
>>> The plot thickens now!
>>> Thanking you,
>>> Ravi

>>> LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
>>> States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United